The Development of the Prairies


   The township of Illiopolis is in the eastern part of the county, and is bounded on the east by Macon County, on the west by Wheatfield Township, on the north by Logan County, and on the south by Christian. From the peculiar shape of the county, the old settlers used to call the territory comprising the township the coon’s tail. This is almost an exclusively prairie town­ship, but along the Sangamon river, which forms the boundary line of the township, it is densely wooded, the timber varying in width from one to three miles.

    The township is five miles wide from east to west, and its mean length from north to south about eight miles. The soil of the township is a heavy black loam, and is especially adapted to all kinds of cereals. The Wabash, St. Louis & Pacific Railway passes through the township from east to west, entering on section eight, township sixteen, north, range one, west, and passing into Wheatfield township from section ten, township six­teen, range two, with one station—Illiopolis.

    The name Illiopolis, which is given the town­ship, is derived from a city of that name laid out, but never built upon, near the present village of the same name. The first settlement made in what is now Illiopolis township was in 1826, by Mrs. Anderson, a widow lady, who settled on section thirty-four. Soon after, Mr. Allen, Joel Watkins, Chesley Dickerson, William Gregg, James Hampton, John Churchill, John and James Hunter, Josiah Kent, William Bridges, and others came. All these settled in or near the Sangamon river timber.

    The township being mostly prairie, prevented its rapid settlement, and consequently it did not develop like some others, and it was not until some time after the railroad was built that the prairie began to be improved to any great extent. Now some of the finest and most highly cultivated farms in the county are the prairie farms of Illiopolis.

    The sparse settlement here for so many years prevented the employment of a schoolteacher, and it was not until 1840 that a public school was taught, and not until 1845 that a schoolhouse was erected. The township will now com­pare favorably in her schools with any in the county. There are now seven school houses, valued at  $13,800.

    The first death in the township was that of John Sanders. The first religious services, where and by whom held, are unknown, but it was probably not until quite a late day, for the same reason that schools were not held. There are now four churches in the township, including those in the village.


In 1834, when the question of the removal of the State capital began to be agitated, a beautiful city was laid out by John Taylor, Eli Blankenship and Governor Duncan, about a half mile south of the present village of Illiopolis, on the northwest quarter of section eighteen, to which was given the same name—Illiopolis, the City of Illinois.

    The location of the village was described as the geographical center of the State, and as such was entitled to the State capital when it should be removed from Vandalia. Beautiful lithographic maps were issued, in which all the glories of the “future great city” were revealed, and the lots were placed upon the market, and a number were sold. A neat hotel was erected by the company, and Jesse Kent was placed in charge. Whether Mr. Kent got rich upon the proceeds of the hotel, or that his clerks all wore diamond pins, parted their hair in the middle and treated guests according as he was well or poorly dressed, history and tradition are both silent. The hotel was subsequently burned down, and never rebuilt.

    The Long Nine being successful in their efforts to have the capital removed to Springfield, the project of building up a great city was abandoned by the proprietors. A traveler, in 1837, thus speaks of the place: “We were reminded, as we were plodding our way over a muddy road, four or five miles distant from Mechanicsburg, that we were approaching the town of Illiopolis, a town of no mean pretensions, and which has made quite a figure upon paper. The most prominent object that met our eye upon the site of Illiopolis was a wolf trap, the location of which was most happily chosen, as being far away from common intrusion by the biped race; but we apprehend that the number of bipeds which have been caught by the Illiopolis trap will far outnumber the quadrupeds taken in that designed for their especial benefit.”


The township was organized in 1861, and from that, annual township elections have been held the first Monday in April. The following were the principal officers of the township from 1861 to 1881, inclusive:


Ruben Smith         1861-64
Win. Boring          1865-66
This T Kent          1867-68
A. C. Derry           1869
J. S. Hampton       1870
J. T. McElfresh     1871-72
J. H. Myers           1873
Peter A. Wilcox     1874
A. C. Derry           1875
H. P. Hawkins       1876-79
W. W. Ishmael      1880
W. H. Fait             1881

Jesse A. Pickrell      1861
A.C. Ford               1862
John C. Perry          1868-74
John Capps             1865-66
W. N. Streeter         1867
J. 8. Hampton          1868
Capps              1869
Jas. W. McGuffin.    1870-71
Chas. S. Cantrall       1872
John Churchill          1873
Chas. S. Cantrall      1874-75
Wm. Boring             1876
J T. Peden               1877
J. P. Cowdin            1878-79
W. Richardson 1880-81


Chas. M. Turner      1861
Chas. R. Capps       1862
Henry Boughton      1863
John C. Perry          1864
V. S. Ruby 
W. N. Streeter          1866
Chas. H. Capps 
W. N. Streeter          1868
A. Houghton            1869
S. P. Fullenwider      1870-72
H. P. Hampton         1873
S. P. Fullenwider      1874
W. N. Streeter          1875
J. S. Hampton          1876
G. W. Constant        1877
W. N. Strecter          1878-80
C. M. Turner            1881


William Short            1861
Wesley Builard   
Jesse A. Pickrell        1865-67
Wesley Bollard          1868
V. S. ~Ruby             1869
Miles H. Wilmot        1870-74
Geo. Pickrell             1875
V. S. Ruby                1876

    J. M. Pearson, appointed August 28, 1876, served seven months, the un-exposed term of V. S. Ruby. D. W. Peden, elected in 1877, served five years, and is the present incumbent. He is also the present Chairman of the Board of Supervisors of Sangamon County.


     The present Wabash, St. Louis & Pacific Rail­road Company having here established a station, around which several houses were built, it was thought proper to lie out a village. Accordingly William Wilson, Timothy J. Carter and Thomas S. Mather laid out and platted the center of section seven, township sixteen, range one, and the plat was recorded under date October 15, 1856.

    The first house built within the limits of the present village was in 1854, by a Mr. Ganson, who was the station agent of the railroad company. The building was designed and used by Mr. Ganson as a store, the first in the village. This was the beginning of the village, and from this beginning is now seen the flourishing village of Illiopolis, which was first given the name of Wilson, after the chief justice by that name, one of its proprietors. The village grew quite rapidly for a time. A local writer in 1866 thus speaks of it: “Wilson is a town laid out adjoining Illiopolis station, and contains about four hundred inhabitants. Its original owners were Colonel Thomas S. Mather, of Springfield, Timothy J. Carter, now one of the Vice Presidents of the Union Pacific Railroad, and the late Chief Justice Wilson.

    Colonel Mather, laid out the town and named it in honor of Judge Wilson; it is twenty-three miles east of Springfield, and sixteen miles west of Decatur, being the central point on the railroad between these cities; it is about six miles north of Mt. Auburn, in Christian county, and ten miles south of Mount Pulaski, in Logan county; it is connected with these two points by good roads, Lake Fork and the Sangamon river being well bridged. A mail route extends from here through Mt. Auburn to Buck Hart Grove, in Christian county.

    At this point the railroad company have established a tank for furnishing water to trains, into which the water is raised by means of a wind-mill of the most approved style, and as this is the only watering station between the Sangamon river, near Springfield, and Decatur, all trains in passing, stop here for the purpose of taking water. At this point, too, the Sangamon River timber is at less distance from the railroad than at any other between Jamestown, near Springfield, and Stevens’ creek, near Decatur, being only a mile distant.

    “Wilson is a regularly incorporated town. It contains three dry goods stores, two grocery and confectionery establishments, one drug store, one wagon manufactory, two blacksmith shops, one tin shop, one shoe shop, one broom factory, two carpenter shops, one saddle and harness shop, one paint shop, one carriage factory, two hotels, two grain warehouses, one lumber yard, two sorghum factories and a commodious school house, which is conducted under the common school system. There are two physicians in town. The Methodist denomination have a church building, erected during 1865, at a cost of  $4,000. The Christian denomination hold their meetings regularly in the Methodist building or in the school house, and the Catholics have a church building in process of erection. “The Good Templars have a lodge here, No. 185, consisting of about one hundred and seven­teen members, and its regular time of meeting is every Saturday night, and to the credit of the town, be it said, not a drop of ardent spirits is sold, except by the drug stores, for medical purposes. The Free Masons have a lodge in process of organization here, and during the present season a large and commodious hall has been erected for the accommodation of these lodges, public exhibitions, lectures, etc.

    At this station, averaging the last three or four years, about eighty thousand bushels of corn; twenty-five thousand bushels of wheat; ten thousand bushels of oats; two thousand head of beef cattle, and five thousand head of hogs.

    Wilson is the headquarters for transacting all township business; all elections are held here, and here reside the town clerk and police magistrate. What this point has not, and what it needs most, is a flouring mill, the nearest establishment of this kind being from nine to twelve miles distant. Decatur, Mechanicsburg and Mt. Pulaski furnish most of the flour and meal for this township.

    The post office, at Wilson, is ‘Illiopolis Station.’ Hard lumber is procured from the mills in the Sangamon timber; pine, through the lumber yard, from Chicago and Toledo.”

    The village retained the name of Wilson until 1869, when it was changed to Illiopolis.


     In the winter of 1861-62, the first schoolhouse was erected in the place. It was a frame building and was used for school purposes and for religious services for some time. The growth of the village being such as to demand it in 186~, an addition was built to the first house, which was a great deal larger than the original building. The addition, which was built in front of the old building, was thirty-two feet square, two stories in height, and was a brick building. In the fall of 1880, the frame was torn away and a brick building was erected the same size of the brick front, with an addition in front for hall and stairway, of fifteen by twenty feet. In this building, which is an honor to the place, are four large schoolrooms. There are now four teachers employed. The school was graded in 1867.


There are three churches in the village.

The Methodist, Catholic and Christian.


    The first physician in the village was Dr. Bernard Stuve, who came shortly after it was laid out and remained about eight years, when he removed to Springfield, and soon began the practice of law. The following named comprise the present resident physicians of the place: W. R. Van Hook, Dr. Win. Maxwell, J. P. Cowdin, and Joe Lawrence. The following comprise the town council of Illiopolis since its organization: 1869.-David Binkley, John S. Hampton, John Blain, Miles H. Wilmot, Peter Rasar, charter members, organized March, 1869. 1870-A. C. Derry, John L. Lindsey, A. D. Gilbert, John P. Cowdin, V. S. Rubey. 1871-A. D. Gilbert, John L. Lindsey, H. P. Hankins, J. T. McElfresh, V. S., Rubey. 1872-John H. Kendall, Peter Rasar, J. T. Peden, D. L. Davis, W. E. Hill. 1873-A. C. Derry, A. S. Capps, A. Guyton, J. T. Peden, W. G. Tinker. 1874-A. Guyton, A. S. Capps, John P. Cowdin, J. H. Grubb. Henry Baker. 1875-Reuben Smith, Charles M. Turner, Charles H. Bridges, J. hi. Wise, A. C. Derry. 1876-C. H. Bridges, Charles M. Turner, A.S Capps, J. H. Kendall, Sr., W. G. Tinker. 1877-Same as 1876. 1878-John M. Hamilton, Peter Rasar, A. C. Ford, A. S. Capps, H. P. Hankins. 1879-A. S. Capps, J. T. Peden, Chas. Danforth, John H. Kendall, Jr., A. A. Shartzar. 1880-W. N. Streetor, Thomas Palmer, A. A. Shartzar, J. H. Kendall, Jr., A. S. Capps. 1881-Reuben Smith, J. H. Kendall, Sr., Thos. Palmer, Chas. M. Turner, W. J. Miller. Martin E. Baker-James, Baker the father of Martin E., was born in Bourbon county, Kentucky, in the year 1788, a time so remote that the beautiful territory now comprising the great blue grass State, was little less than a hunting ground, and while George Washington was serving his first term as President of the United States. Nancy Squires, the chosen life companion of James Baker, and the mother of our sub­ject, was born six years later, 1794, in Fauquier county, Virginia. Martin E. Baker is a native of Nicholas county, Kentucky, born January 27, 1820. He was but eight years of age when his parents brought him to Sangamon county, and 1828 was an early period in Sangamon’s history. Mr. Baker’s life was crowded until the years of manhood by the stirring events of the pioneer, but little time being given to mental drill in the schools. His education, however, was not entirely neglected, as we find him in 1850, in Christian county, teaching school, in which he must have been very successful as he was not allowed to decline an earnest request to teach the same school the following year. Mr. Baker was married March 4, 1852, to Mary C. S. Williams, of Springfield, Illinois. She was born in Montgomery county, Maryland, February 3, 1826, and came to Springfield in 1839. They settled on their present farm in Illiopolis town­ship, in 1856, where all of their eight children (except one) were born. In 1856, Mr. B. was elected school trustee, which he held three years, when he was elected school director, serving nine years, and again elected trustee, which office he still holds, and is now president of the. board. February 16, 1880. Mr. Baker was visited by a sad affliction in the death of his wife. Capt. Henry Slzreve Blair, post office, Illiopolis; father and mother both born in Pennsylvania, were of Scotch origin. The subject of this sketch was born May 21, 1818, and married in 1844 to Miss Catharine A. Read. She was the daughter of Robert and Margaret Read, but was raised by her uncle, William Read, of Louisville, Kentucky, and the dwelling house then occupied by them is now converted into what is known as the Fifth Avenue Hotel. In 1834, he went to St. Louis, and entered as clerk in the employ of Vairin & Reel, extensive steamboat owners and wholesale grocers. In 1842, Capt. John W. Russell received his commission as superintendent of western river improvements, was instructed to employ the subject of this sketch, as chief clerk, with headquarters at Louisville, Kentucky. He ac­cepted the position, and reported for duty at once; in 1846 and ‘47, was steam boating between Louisville and New Orleans, on the boats Diana and Mohawk In 1853, ‘55 and ‘57, was elected city treasurer, of Louisville; resigned the third term, to enter mercantile business; moved to Illinois, in 1864, purchasing the property where he now resides. He follows farming and stock raising, giving especial attention to raising roadster horses, of the “Gold Dust” stock. The children of Capt. Blair and wife were six in number; two daughters died in Kentucky, named Katie M. and Harriet L., and one son, Morris B.; three sons are still living, William Read Blair, of Bunker Hill, Macoupin county, Illinois; Henry A. Blair, lives adjoining the homestead; and George L., who lives at home, and is devoted to the improvement in horses. Note.-While on the floor being married, it was announced that New York State had given her electoral vote for James K. Polk, for President, causing quite a commotion, as that defeated Henry Clay, of Kentucky. Archibald Boyd was born November 15, 1813, at Fairfax Court House, Virginia. His father, John Boyd, was born in same county, and emigrated to Christian county, Kentucky, when Archibald was a small boy; died when about forty years old. Mother died when he was quite young, in Kentucky. Archibald emigrated to Illinois in 1833, at the close of the Black Hawk war, and settled in Morgan county; went to California in 1850, and returned December, 1852; was engaged in mining while in California, at Moquelumne Hill, Caleveras county. When he returned from California he came to Mason county, Illinois, and in 1860 settled in Sangamon county. He was married to Miss Eliza F.  Hampton, of Illiopolis, December 14, 1875, to whom have been born four children, via: John, William, Anna and Helen; owns seven hundred and twenty acres excellent prairie land, under high state of improvement. Mr. Boyd also owns a nice residence in Illiopolis, where he now resides, surrounded by shrubbery that a Shenstone might envy, and music in a lovely family, a contented and happy wife, and beautiful children. Joshua Cantrall post office, Illiopolis; son of Levi and Fanny Cantrall; father born in Virginia, October 1, 1787; mother born in Kentucky, October 2, 1792; father served in the French and Indian wars under General Harrison; mother’s maiden name was Fannie England, and was the daughter of Stephen and Anna England. They were married in Virginia, November 30, 1809, and had thirteen children, seven sons and six daughters. The subject of this sketch was the tenth child, and born in Sangamon County, July 28, 1828; October 6,1847, married Miss Rebecca Hedrick, daughter of Jonathan and Julia Hedrick. She was born in Fleming county, Kentucky. They had thirteen children, via: Lafayette, born January 16, 1849; Fannie 5., September 9, 1850; Carlisle, May 26. 1852; Charles, December 27, 1853; Barton, April 26, 1S56; Parthena, May 30, 1858; Julia A., April 11, 1860; McDonald, January 1, 1862; Laura E., June 3, 1864; Clara P., September 8, 1866; Levi, April 20, 1868; Benjamin F., August 25, 1870; Jennie, June 3, 1872; Charles died January 9, 1854; Parthena, March 20, 1860; Fannie, October 8, 1869; Jennie, June 20, 1872; of Welsh extraction on father’s side; owns three hundred and thirty acres of land, valued at $60 per acre; farms mixed crops; raises and feeds stock for market purposes. His advan­tages of early education were moderate; attended subscription schools. His wife had the same advantages. Charles S. Cantrall, post office, Illiopolis. Great grand-parents came from Wales; grand­father, Joshua Cantrall, born 1748, in Virginia, and died September 9, 1800. Served in the Revolutionary War on the side of the colonists. Married Ann Graham, who was born May 3, 1751, died September 19, 1819. They had nine children, all sons. Levi Cantrall, the father of the subject of this sketch, was the seventh son, and was born in Virginia, October 1, 1787, died February 20, 1860. Married Fanny England, who was born October 2, 1792, and died September 10, 1835. They had thirteen children, twelve grew to maturity and had families. Second marriage was to Miss Ann Barnett, May 27, 1836. They had five children, three died in infancy. Father was in the War of 1812. The subject of this sketch was born in Sanga­mon county, January 6, 18-26, married January 7, 1845, to Emily Vandegrift, who was born October 6, 1830. had two children, Mary Eleanor, born June 13, 1848, married January 25, 1866, to 50. Price had two children, Emma and William, who reside in Logan county, Illinois; McDonald Cantrall was born August 20, 1851; married Margaret Peden. Have four children: Maud, Augustus, Bruce, and Joseph. Mrs. Emily M. Cantrall died January 29, 1852. Again he married June 20, 1853, Lucy A. Swearengen, who was born Oct. 15, 1828. They had one child, Minerva A., born March 25, 1853, and died August 20, 1853. Mrs. Lucy A. Cantrall died April 14, 1853. C. S. Cantrall married a third time April 26, 1855, to Harriet A. Graham, who was born February 17, 1836, in Athens. They have ten children, to-wit: Charles FL, Thomas D., Alice, John W., Levi G., William H., Fanny A., Homer E., Ida May, and Ira—all living except Ida M., who died in infancy. Mr. Cantrall has been an advocate of the temperance reform, for the past forty years, the effect of the same has been one to be seen for many miles in every direction in the county, and for two years after the township organization he was assessor of Fancy Creek township, and since coming to Illiopolis township has held the office of collector three terms in this township, and for many years township trustee of Fancy Creek township and Illiopolis township, and has been one of the members of the Christian Church for thirty-eight years. John S. Clinkinbeard was born the 8th of December, 1822, in Clarke county, Kentucky. His father, John Clinkinbeard, was born in the same county, and died there. Win. Clinkinbeard, grandfather, emigrated from Virginia to Kentucky at an early day, and settled in Clarke county. John S. Clinkinbeard has five brothers and two sisters still living in Kentucky, via: Win. A., Mary Jane, married to Robert Dodsworth; Jonathan N., James G., Thomas B., Simeon II., and Sallie, married to W. B. Scott. John S. Clinkinbeard emigrated to Sangamon county, Illinois, in 1850, and settled first in Buf­falo Hart grove, and moved to Illiopolis township in 1867. Mr. Clinkinbeard married his first wife, Miss Louisa Bryant, of Buffalo Hart, in 1859. to whom were born three children, via:· John W., Mary E., and infant, which died when three days old. Married second wife, Miss  Martha E. Constant, of Buffalo Hart, December ?, 1869, to whom have been born four children, via: Isaac, Nancy Ellen, who died at the age of three years; Sarah Jane, and youngest child, now ten months old, not named as yet. S. Dake, born February 26, 1834, in Cattaraugus county, New York. His father, Erastus Dake, was born September 8, 1801, near Rochester, New York, now resides in Cattaraugus county, New York, engaged in the dairy business. S. Dake emigrated to Illinois in 1866, and engaged in railroad business as engineer on the road; first for Chicago Alton, afterwards to the Wabash railroad. Took the station at llliopolis, 1869, and remained in that capacity till 1864. Afterwards engaged in the lumber business. Illiopolis consisted of only one or two houses when Mr. Dake came. He erected the first out-door scales. Mr. Dake was married to Miss Sarah Hunter, of Illiopolis township, Illinois, April 18, 1861, to whom have been born three children, of whom two are living, via: Oscar H., born December 17, 1866. and Cornelia Frank, born September 16, 1863; one deceased, Julia. Mr. Dake is quite extensively engaged in the lumber business, at present, in Illiopolis. Mrs. Dake’s grandfather, Jas. Hunter, was among the first settlers of Sangamon county, having emigrated from Kentucky to the county in 1828; lived to a good old age, and died in Illiopolis at Mr. Dake’s, aged eighty-nine years. Aaron Ford was born in Marshall county, Kentucky, January 13, 1827. His father, Boze Ford, was born March 4, 1804, in South Carolina; his mother, Susan Ford, was a native of Kentucky. Mr. Ford, the father of the subject of this biography, has been engaged in farming all his life; emigrated from Marshall county, Kentucky, to Sangamon county, Illinois, in 1851; is now living in Illiopolis, Illinois, and a member of the Christian Church, and has led an exemplary life as a Christian. Aaron C. Ford left the parential roof in his old Kentucky home at the age of sixteen to seek his fortune in the west, and settled first in Morgan county, Illinois, and worked first for $8 per month, and remained in Morgan county until 1850. The last work Mr. Ford done in Morgan county was to maul two thousand rails for Samuel French, at seventy-five cents per hundred. While in Morgan county, Mr. Ford availed himself of the advantages afforded by the common schools; went to school in the winter and worked in the summer, attended select school one term. Settled near Illiopolis, Sangamon county, in 1850. Broke the first prairie land in Big Prairie, outside of the old timber settlement of the county. Mr. Ford was married to Miss Rebecca J. Averitt, of Macon county, Illinois, December 19, 1862. Mrs. Ford was born in Schuyler county, Illinois, May 13, 1832. There have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Ford thirteen children, of whom eight are living, three boys and five girls, via: eldest, Emma C., was born September 24, 1863, is now teaching school in Illiopolis with marked success; has taught five terms, and holds a first grade certificate; Eva F., born September 10, 1866, and was married March 1, 1877, to David Johnson, near Illiopolis; George E, born December 28, 1868, is at home with his parents, and engaged in grain business, Illiopolis; Aleff C., born September 18, 1865; Abner M., born December 9,1867; Charles C., born December 13, 1868; Minnie M., born December 4, 1870; Gertie W., born September 16, 1876. Mr. Ford owns five hundred and sixty acres of land in Illiopolis township, nearly all in one body, and is said to be as good a tract of land as can be found in the State, worth $70 per acre. Mr. Ford has held the office of justice of the peace in the township; now resides in Illiopolis, one and a half miles from his farm, and owns a good residence; exercises supervision over his farm, and is taking an interest in the education of his children, having moved from his farm for that purpose. Mr. Ford has been a member of the Christian Church thirty-one years, and his life is justly regarded by all who know him, as exemplary in a high degree; has been a fearless worker from his youth in the cause of temperance, and every good cause that enter in as co-comitants to build up society, and elevate man in the scale of being. J. D. Foster, born in Crawford county, Pennsylvania, June 8, 1824. His father, David Foster, was born in Maryland, 1776, died in Crawford county, Pennsylvania, September 10, 1840. He was engaged in agricultural pursuits all his life, and had five children, via: Mary, William, Alexander, Johnston, James D. and Wilson. James D. is the only one residing in Illinois. Be emigrated to Illinois in 1867, and settled in Sangamon county, near Mechanicsburg, and remained there nine years, and then removed to Illiopolis township in 1863. He was married to Miss Malinda Ilaskett, of Guernsey county, Ohio, January 1, 1865, to whom have been born nine children, of whom seven are living via: David L., married, and living in Illiopolis township; Rebecca R., married to Webster Burch, and living in Wheatfield township; James W., married, and living in Illiopolis township; Grant, Jane, Benjamin, Johnston and Sarah are single, and living at. home. Mr. Foster was married to his first wife, Miss Catharine Kerrh, of Allegheny county, Pennsylvania, July 4, 1842, to whom, were horn five children; of these three are living, via: Mary, married to Robert Donaldson, and living in Elizabeth, Pennsylvania; Win. A., married, and living in Decatur, Illinois, and is a conductor on the I., D. & S. Railroad; George M., not married, and is living in Decatur, and is a conductor on the same road. Mr. James D. Foster is a blacksmith by trade. Carried on the trade extensively in former years in Elizabeth, Pennsylvania. Built the first blacksmith shop in Buffalo, Sangamon county. He now owns a very fine tract of land in Illiopolis township of four hundred and forty acres, equal to any in the county, and under a high state of improvement. Mr. Foster is now farming very successfully. Win. F. Carvey, was horn in Owen county, Kentucky, August 22, 1829; his father, Samuel Garvey, emigrated to Kentucky from Virginia, when a young man, and engaged in agricultural pursuits, and cleared out a farm in Kentucky; emigrated to Illinois, the fall before the great snow, 1830, and settled near Mechanicsburg, Sangamon county, Illinois, and improved two farms. He was the father of thirteen children, eight sons and five daughters, seven now living, via: Mrs. Mary Hampton, Samuel Garvey, Mrs. Elizabeth Jack, Mrs. Nancy Hampton, Win. F. Garvey Mrs. Jane Peden, and John Garvey. Mrs. Jack resides in Knox county, Missouri; Mrs., Jane Peden resides in Lovington, Illinois; the others reside near, Mechanicsburg, Sangamon county, Illinois. Win. F. Garvey, the subject of this biography, was married February 2, 1854, to Miss Elizabeth Ann Williams, of Springfield, Illinois, who was born in Maryland, in 1829, November 29th. The family consists of six children, of whom four are now living, via: Horace Overton Garvey, Clara Garvey, Win. Henry Garvey, and Samuel Garvey. Mr. Win. F. Garvey has been always engaged in farming; has three hundred and thirty-six acres of land, in Illiopolis township, a very valuable farm, and under a high state of cultivation; could get $15 per acre; not for sale. Besides farming, Mr. Garvey is now turning his attention to breeding fine stock, of Norman horses. James Johnston, Illiopolis, son of James and Mary Johnston. His parents were born in Dumfreeshire, Scotland; father May 10, 1805, and mother: August 21, 1808. They were married March 26, 1835; mother’s maiden name, Mary Rodgerson. She was the daughter of James Rodgerson, also born in Scotland. They had eight children, six sons, and two daughters: James, born February 26, 1836; Janet, born June 22, 1840; John, born June 4, 1842; Elizabeth, born January 19, 1844; George. born March 18, 1846; William, born September 4, 1848; David, born September 25, 1850. All born in Scotland, and Thomas, born in Sangamon county, Illinois, June 9, 1853; father died August 4, 1853; mother died September 3, 1871. The subject of this sletch was the first child, and came from Scotland with his parents in 1851, settling in this county, where he now resides. On April 2, 1872 he married Miss Mary Jane Scroggin, daughter of Alfred Scroggin, of Logan county, Illinois. They had one child, Hugh, born December 21, 1872, who died April 10, 1873. His wife died March 2, 1874. On December 25, he married Miss Ruth Emeline Morgan, who was born July 10, 1854, in Sangamon county. Her father, John C. Morgan, was born May 19, 1812, in Fleming county, Kentucky, and her mother, Elizabeth Bridges, November 9, 1819, in the State of Indiana. His advantages of early education was such as the parish schools of Scotland afforded, and his wife’s opportunities were the common schools of Sangamon county. His farm, of two hundred and forty acres, on which he resides, is valued at $5O per acre. He follows mixed husbandry, raising and feeding stock for market purposes. John H. Kendall Sr., was born February 28, 1824, in Nelson county, Kentucky. His father, Benjamin, was born July 3, 1797. in Nelson county, Kentucky. William Kendall, grand­father, emigrated from Virginia to Kentucky at an early day; died in Kentucky in 1835. Mrs. Kendall’s maiden name was Matilda Hobbs, mother of John H., died September 4, 1867, in Illiopolis, Illinois. John H, Kendall spent his boyhood days in Kentucky, with his mother, and followed farming. Emigrated to Mason county, Illinois, 1853, and remained there one year, and removed to Sangamon county, Illinois; was married to Miss Laura Brown, of Nelson county, Kentucky, October 1, 1848, to whom have been born four children, of whom three are living, via: John H., Jr., born October 1, 1849; Alexander M., born October 1,1849, twins I George W. ,born June 26, 1851, died July 7, 1872; Burn H., born May 21, 1853. All the children horn in Nelson county, Kentucky. Mr. Kendall has followed farming in Illinois up to 1865, since which time he has carried on the livery business in Illiopolis, and has as few enemies as any man in Illiopolis. Isaac Loose Sr., was born in 1808, in Berks county, Pennsylvania; his father, Conrad Loose, was born in Berks county, Pennsylvania, about the year 1769; of German extraction; his mother, Christina, maiden name Brindle, was born about 1781. Conrad Loose, died 1829, in Franklin county, Pennsylvania. Mrs. Christina Loose, died in same county, 1826. The subject of this biography was three years old when his father moved to Franklin county, Pennsylvania; was married to Miss E1isa M. Scholl, daughter of Rev. F. A. Scholl, of Greencastle, Franklin county, Pennsylvania, to whom have been born ten children, of whom eight are living, five sons and three daughters, via: Elizabeth M., Fred­erick Augustus, dead; Oscar C., Arthur H., Amanda, Mary, Joseph S., David A., Almira Virginia, and Jacob L. Benjamin died when quite young, 1852. Mrs. Loose, wife of Isaac Loose, Sr., died July 14, 1878, aged sixty-two years. Mr. Loose emigrated to Sangamon county, Illinois, in 1857, and three years afterwards brought his family; settled near Illiopolis, and owns a fine tract of land, under a high state of cultivation, consisting of one thousand and forty-one acres, surrounded by everything that is beautiful in farm life, and the result of his own labor. There was but one building, and that unfinished, on his arrival in Illiopolis, owned by Ganson, and afterward used for a grocery building. Mr. Loose drove the first hitching-post in Illiopolis to hitch his horse; is among the most wealthy of Sangamon county. Wm. P. Roberts was born January 23, 1831, in Schuyler county, Illinois; his father, Norman Roberts, was born October 19, 1800, in South Carolina, and. emigrated to Georgia, when quite a boy, from Georgia to Kentucky, and from Kentucky to Indiana, and from thence to Schuyler county, Illinois, in 1830, and removed to Sangamon county 1853; engaged mostly in farming, but traded some on Ohio river from Newbery, Indiana, to New Orleans; is now living with his son, Win. P. Roberts; was acquainted with Abraham Lincoln when a boy. Mother’s name before marriage was Temperance Lockhart, born in Washington county, Kentucky, November 1, 1796, died September 28, 1839. Grand­father Joseph Roberts was born in Virginia, and died in Gibson county, Indiana; accidental death by gunshot. Norman Roberts was twice married; by his first wife were born seven children, (married June 13, 1821,) via: Mary Ann, Betsy Monroe, Amanda Jane, Martha Ellen, Wm. P., Hannah and Joseph; Mary Ann and Joseph are dead. Norman Roberts was married second time to Mrs. Lockhart, September 18, 1840, to whom were born four children, via: John W., Norman B., Thomas J. and Madeline; all of whom are now living. Wm. P., the subject of this biography, in early life lived with his father, and followed farming; was educated in the common schools of Warwick county, Indiana, school house built of logs, and ground floor; emigrated to Sangamon county, Illinois, February 12, 1852; was married January 28, 1858 to Miss Nancy E. Boyd, of Macon county, Illinois. The family consists of nine children, via: Joseph D., born July 14, 1859, and died July 11, 1864; Mary Ann born May 17, 1361; Emma F., born April 27, 1863, died August 20, 1879; Martha E., born October 9, 1864; Tempa Florence, born March 19. 1867; Ida Belle, born November 16, 1868; George H., born February 26, 1871; Harvey C., born May 4, 1878; an infant died December 19, 1880. Mr. Roberts has two hundred and ten acres of land adjoining Illiopolis under a high state of cultivation, is regarded as a first class farmer; has a nice residence; his family are tak­ing an interest in education and music; has been a member of the Christian Church twenty-seven years; his motto in religion as, in every­thing else, is, “go slow, but sure.” W. N. Streeter, grain dealer, was born in Luzerne county, Pennsylvania, November 1, 1836, son of William and Diana (Wilcox) Streeter, who were natives of Massachusetts. His father was a farmer by occupation; he came to Pike county, Illinois, where he resided until his death, which occurred in the fall of 1838, while he was on his way to the Mississippi river, where he anticipated engaging in the milling business. his mother, in a few months after, moved back to Eieter, Scott county, Illinois, where she resided for many years. She became deranged, and after fruitless attempts on the part of physicians to cure her, she was pronounced hopelessly insane, and sent to the Jacksonville Asylum, where she spent four years, but was removed by her son, and is now in the County Poor House for safe keeping. W. H. Streeter received his education in the common schools, attending school three months during the winter. He worked for Wm. Lowry, in whose charge he was placed by his mother, and with whom he remained until he was eighteen years of age. He then engaged in carpentering, in company with his brother, one year; then worked as a farm laborer until 1861. He was married March 4, 1858, to Mary Jane Hobson, who was born October, 1833, in Scott county, Illinois. Of a family of eight children six are living, via: Wil­liam 0., Richard A., John H., Mary Ada, Chas. E. and Henry; George and Louis, deceased. In 1860, he moved to Sangamon county, and en­gaged in farming. In 1861,he enlisted in the One Hundred and Sixteenth Illinois Infantry, Company E, and served two years. He was appointed Fourth Sergeant, then promoted to First Sergeant, in which capacity he acted until be was commissioned First Lieutenant. He held that position until he resigned on account of sickness contracted on the Mississippi river, near Vicksburg, while cutting the canal under the supervision of General Grant. He was dis­charged May, 1863. He again returned to San­gamon county and engaged in farming, in connection with the grain business, which he has followed since. He ships from 150,000 to 160,000 bushels of grain each year, and has an elevator with a capacity for banding 600,000 bushels. He has held many offices of trust in the township, and is a member of the Christian Church. Wm. IV. 0. Turpin, post office, Illiopolis, son of Robinson and Rachel Turpin. Father born in Bourbon county, Kentucky, April, 1805; mother born in Owen county, Kentucky, 1807. They were married in Kentucky about 1827, and had three children horn there. About 1834, moved to Hendricks county, Indiana, bought land and commenced farming. The names of their children are: Melinda E. ,John W. G., born March 13, 1830; Anderson, Henry, Harvey, Harrison, Doctor, Martha I., Jacob. Harrison died January, 1865; mother died July M, 1880; father died August 31, 1880.

The subject of this sketch was the second child, and was married in Hendricks county, Indiana, February 24, 1854, to Miss Elizabeth B. Swain, daughter of John and Matilda Swain. Her father was born in Fleming county, Ken­tucky, April, 1812; her mother born in Montgomery county, Kentucky, April, 1810. Mrs. Turpin was born in Hendricks county, Septem­ber 17, 1834. Commenced farming in Indiana, and remained there until 1865, when they came to Sangamon county, Illinois, and purchased the place where they now live. They have seven children, to-wit: John R., born August 16, 1855; James IL, born May 20, 1857; Ann E., born December 11, 1859; William M., born April 29, 1861; Bennett N., born July 25, 1864; Lucella W., born Jan. 21, 1869; Tillman A. H., born July 21, 1871. Owns three hundred acres of land, secured by the industry of himself and family, valued at $50 per acre; farms mixed crops, raises cattle and hogs for market purposes. Subscription schools were the only advantages of education for himself and wife. Henry Wilcox, born November 10, 1815, in Schoharie county, New York, in the town of Scobelkill. His father, Nathan Wilcox, horn in Middlesex county, Connecticut, in the town of Guilford, 1778, and died 1852, in Lee county, Illinois. Henry Wilcox emigrated to Illinois in 1851, and settled in Lee county, and removed to Sangamon county in 1857. Married Febru­ary 7,1841, to Miss Artemissee Luce, to whom were born ten children, of whom six are living, via: Elizabeth, married to P. P. Lucas, of Illiopolis, Illinois; Lucy, married to John Pontzious; Sylvester, married and living in Texas; Henry and Aaron. Olive married to John Underwood, and living in Minnesota. Mr. Wilcox owns a good farm of one hundred and twelve acres. His son, Sylvester, formerly in the railroad business in Chicago, is now in the railroad business in Texas.


Return to History Menu