PHYSICIANS OF ILLIOPOLIS
(Taken from the Centennial History of Illiopolis 1956)
No tribute would be too great to accord the horse and buggy doctor, who, regardless of road and weather conditions, ministered to the sick over a wide area. His life was a record of hardship and service often rendered without recompense. Epidemics were frequent, and, lacking the present day drugs to combat these diseases, the death rate, especially among infants, was high.
The earliest known
physician of this community was Dr. Bernard Stuve who located here in 1860 and
practiced for six years. He then
moved to Springfield and studied for the law profession.
Dr. J. W. Mayes came
from Mexico, Missouri, in 1863, formed a partnership with Dr. Stuve and remained
here until 1877.
Dr. J. W. D. Mayes,
better known to later residents, joined his brother in 1876 and, except for
several intervals spent in the West for the benefit of his health, continued
to make his home here for the remainder of his life. His death occurred in August 1924. He is remembered by many families he attended in Christian
and Macon counties as well as East Sangamon.
Much of his success was due to the psychology he combined with his
medical treatment. Being well
educated in other fields besides that of his chosen profession, he was also
active in matters of civic culture and welfare.
He was a leading member of the Literary Society, which presented
bimonthly programs of high quality. Dr.
Mayes also served many terms as president of the school board.
physicians were W. R. Van Hook, William Maxwell, J. P. Cowdin, and Joe Lawrence.
Down through the
years to the present time Illiopolis has been fortunate in having the services
of competent doctors and dentists devoted to their profession.
Return to History Menu